Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tomato starts

I recently transplanted my cherry tomato seedlings into their larger 3" peat pots. I started them a couple of weeks earlier than I usually would have, because I wasn't sure how they were going to survive in my less-than-stellar indoor environment. Lucky for me they (so far) are looking pretty good! I had excellent germination rates and no deaths (yet).

My seeds were started in paper cups leftover from many MANY years ago (as evidenced by the date of 1987 on the bag). In the past I've used egg cartons which worked beautifully, but I didn't have any styrofoam cartons around (no real loss there) so paper cups were my next option.
My babies pre-transplant


Room to grow

I'm pleased to say that the "after" picture above was taken 5 days ago and already I can see my starts are loving the extra room! They've grown quite a bit and I'm beginning to wonder if that two weeks start was unnecessary.... time will tell!

No comments: