I've dealt with my fair share of aphids but the above sight was downright disgusting. It gives me that creepy-crawly feeling just looking at it. And to think I *just* sprayed these guys off only a couple of weeks ago with an insecticidal soap!? Apparently I wasn't thorough enough...
I do need help identifying the other pest inhabiting the rose garden. Tiny white insects were intermixed with the aphids. Some of the buds are deformed and it looks like they aren't going to open at all, while others in various places have what looks like some webbing here and there from leaf to leaf. My first thought was spider mites, but from the online sites I've seen the pictures don't fit. My next guess is that they are thrips. I'm putting a couple semi-crappy pictures below in case it helps with identification.
4 comments:
I'd guess at white fly. They are more annoying than anything (in my experience) and are predators of chance and opportunity as anything else is. I find if I'm out often enough spraying with a hose and sqeezing between my fingers (oh so satisfying) keeps the aphids at bay. I haven't found much for the white fly problem and it seems especially bad at our house this year! Perhaps it is just an on year for them or the weather had played a part. I shy away from insecticidal soaps only because in my experience over the years they don't help and can in fact hinder (since they will kill all, even those good natural ones I have seen kill a bee by accident).
oh! and there are recipes out there for dish soap cures! I used to try a bit of dish soap in cup with a teeny bit of water and lather it on them. I just squish now. Total annihilation, that's my m.o. haha
Okay so I know not to believe everything you see/hear but I read that the insecticidal soaps (at least the one I have) doesn't kill the beneficial insects?
Crap....
I have sprayed them off with a hose before but seems like I was doing that all.the.time.
I totally could not squish them with my fingers-- yick!! lol
re: Whiteflies- I ruled them out because what I'm seeing doesn't appear to have wings..? I'm only going off internet pictures for comparison but it just doesn't look the same. I'm going to get out tomorrow and see if the heavy rain we're having right now has given me a helping hand, and also try and get a better picture of those things for identification. It has me really curious!
Post a Comment