Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Flower discovery

The other day while I was weeding the yard I realized what I thought might have just been an ornamental grass is actually something that flowers and it appears the flowers will be a beautiful orangey color.  I'm excited to see what becomes of them!
Mystery plant

Also in the garden, I found out I have gladiolus (gladioli? what is the proper plural there? lol) growing.  I was curious to know what the long grassy stems were going to be- I was certain they would bloom because they were intentionally planted in an area that attracts your eye and whoever did the gardening previously had made some great location choices for the flowering plants.  Anyhooo.... the red color of the flowers is striking against the white and yellow colors of our home.
Gladiolus with a friend
And hanging directly above them are the 5 baskets I purchased on a whim because I loved their look and subsequently planted in them a variety of fuchsias.  I really wanted to find something beautiful and fragrant, but I was coming up with nothing and desperately needing to get something in those baskets.  I love the beautiful flowers of fuchsias and they always remind me of my husband because it was at his childhood home that I recall always seeing a basket of them hanging next to the front door.  If only they were pleasantly scented! I would be in heaven... but for now...they'll do.

No comments: