Friday, February 4, 2011

The Awakening

Signs of Spring are starting to pop up - a constant reminder that I need to finish up my garden planning and put my writings into action!

Plans for this Spring:

  • Divide irises (I know, I know - I'm not supposed to do this until after they've bloomed but since I got a *single* flower last year out of the entire huge bunch of grassy leaves, I figure I'm not going to be missing much.)   Done!
  • Divide daffodils and figure out where the heck to put the new bulbs.  Right now the only person who can see the beautiful flowers is one who walks behind the boxwood hedge.  What's the point of that?  Done!
  • Take out the weeping pussy willow and replace it with the children's flower garden & sand box. I didn't want to have to take out the tree, but the darn thing is just...unruly.  It requires staking one way or another depending on whether it has leaves, and it blocks a lot of sun from the irises that are already there. 
  • Raise up the garden beds & mole-proof them!

Irises with rhizomes all cramped together.
    Hello, Spring! These daffodils have lots of buds but some are pretty tight together.
  • Flowers, flowers, flowers!!!  This is basically me planting to fill in the holes around the yard and provide the kids with some things to look at, pick at, and care for.  I also need to pull out and replace the old rose bushes in the rose garden. I was hoping not to have to do that either, but they are clearly diseased and so replanting with varieties that are more disease-resistant will help immensely. Last Summer the bushes continually were losing leaves and spent all their energy trying to replenish them so blooming was cut back quite a bit.

No comments: