Thursday, January 14, 2010

Seeds!!

Got my order of seeds from Territorial Seed Company in the mail yesterday. I was so excited to open it up and view my selections up close and personal.

Here's what I'll be growing in addition to the carrots, spinach & greens already planted:

  • Parsnips (Javelin Hybrid)
  • Zucchini (Sungreen Hybrid)
  • Pole Beans (Kentucky Wonder)
  • Cherry tomatoes (Gold Nugget & Early Cherry)
  • Snap Peas (Sugar Sprint)
  • Cilantro
  • Pumpkin (Small sugar)
I intend on growing some other tomato varieties, maybe some for canning, but certainly one can never grow too many for fresh-from-the-garden eating, however I'm waiting to see how my cherry tomato starts do before I get the rest. I can purchase plants if need be.

I'm super excited at the prospect of Spring. I was so tempted last weekend to start digging when the temperatures rose into the 50's. I'm told though that it is indeed still too early...so I'm waiting. But not so patiently!! And neither are my bulbs...I'm seeing them popping up all over in the yard so Spring can't be too far away.

While I have a bit of time, I've been trying to read through the more important sections of my latest gardening book: Growing vegetables West of the Cascades. Between that, the lovely growing guide from TSC and the fantastically helpful owner of the gardening supply store I frequent, I should be ready to go come May...or April... and maybe even March for some things... still have to confirm that! lol

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am SO excited for you and your new garden!
I have several packets of tomatoes if you are interested in any I'd love to send you some:
Mama Leone
Cour di Bue
Sub-Artic Plenty
Jersey Giant
(all from Baker Creek www.rareseeds.com)

There is no way I'll be growing as many as are in each packet (I wish! haha!)