I've been taking pictures as usual, but my blog time has decreased substantially so let me try and get caught up!
Pictures of the garden June 14th:
Peas have been flowering like crazy and just starting to give us some good pods!
Cool weather crops are thriving!!!! Top left is cauliflower (broccoli hidden in there too); then towards the bottom of the picture is lettuce, mesclun & carrots. The bare spot in the upper right is my itty-bitty pumpkin & lemon verbena.
Warm weather crops?? Eh... it hasn't been above 70 yet. These guys have been under cover since their planting a few weeks earlier. In the foreground are short little bean plants, background is cherry tomatoes and a tomatillo. Also in there but not seen are cucumber, jalapenos, zucchini and a melon.
June 15th:
One of the neighbor kids' "friend" pulled up a bunch of these unknown bulbs. They've never bloomed since we've owned the home, presumably because they are under a big fat tree and getting no sunlight, so I figured now's a good a time as any to move them to a sunnier location and see what happens next Spring.
June 21st:
Harvested my first heads of lettuce!! A combo of deer tongue & butter crunch. I picked them while they were still fairly small since I never thinned the seeds when they sprouted.
June 27th:
I have cauliflower!!!! Unbelievable!!! This is my first time growing it and I had no idea what to expect so seeing this little white head emerge after just watching the leaves grow was really exciting.
I also have zucchini!!!! (Those who talk gardens with me know that I am the only person on the planet who has a hard time getting zucchini to grow).
This gorgeous rose smelled wonderful...
And it was hardly open and *humongous*!!
July 1st:
Harvested my first head of cauliflower! My girls were so excited to taste it we cut into it as soon as I brought it inside.
July 5th:
Returned home from an extended weekend getaway to find the few days of extra warm temperatures we got kick-started my strawberries into high gear. There's nothing like eating fresh warm strawberries right off the plant...
Today, July 10th
The heat-loving plants have really gone to town. Those are my tomatoes (and tomatillo) which I *do* have staked but are clearly taking over my garden and walkway.
Another view of the same bed- this time you can see the zucchini on the far left. This may be the year that I am finally giving away zucchini to neighbors.
Wild blackberry bush that I cut back last year cause it's pokey and growing in an annoying spot came back (surprise surprise) but this time it has blossoms so I'm waiting for the berries to arrive! I think I'll keep it and incorporate it into my garden given that it's growing right along the fence near the raised beds.
Nasturtium that was getting choked out by the cauliflower plants has finally bloomed with their departure.
Peas are starting to stall as the weather has consistently stayed above 70. Still a lot on the plant to eat.
No comments:
Post a Comment