Saturday, August 13, 2011

August update

Pictures of the July/early August garden!  We've been harvesting beans, carrots, and zucchini like crazy - tomatoes, not much yet because of the lack of heat- but we've picked a few!  Peas are pretty much done, new carrot seed is just sprouting, a new crop of strawberries is just starting to show, and I've got pumpkins, cukes, melons & tomatillos to look forward to!!

 July 14th            I took last years remaining bean pods (which had been drying in the garage all this time) and finally retrieved the beans! 

July 24th      My (cherry) tomato plants had gone CRAZY and were taking over my garden so I gave them a much needed trim to allow space for the cuke (Which I had planted on a whim- it was given to me), and the peppers to get some sunlight!

  July 29th                          Pulled up some carrots from my Spring planting!!

The bees have been loving my tomatillo plant! 

Hello baby tomatillo!

First bean harvest! This French variety "Maxibel" has a bit of sweetness when eaten raw, and so far that's the only way it's been enjoyed.  My kids love picking them for a snack.

One bed, minus the brassicas- there's a bit of lettuce left that was meant to be Spring greens, I've left it because it still tastes good and most hasn't bolted.  My pumpkin vine in the background has really taken off and is now trailing around various parts of the yard.  Soon to be filling in the dirt are carrots, cauliflower and broccoli.

The other garden bed - on the right are the zucchini plants, to the left are beans and tomatoes. My melon vine is next to the zucchini plants but is somewhat difficult to see because it's so small by comparison.

Hello tiny cucumber!

WHOA there!! This is the first time I've ever planted zucchini and gotten more than ONE off the bush.  This year I've been so blessed I've been giving it away.


Hello tiny melons! Please have time to ripen before the weather turns cold again (fingers crossed).

One of two pumpkins on the vine.

And just for kicks- one of the newly planted hydrangeas is in bloom!  The other one nearby is not looking so good. It's alive but definitely not well. :-/  Hopefully it makes a recovery next Spring.  This beauty definitely catches your eye though!

No comments: